The Unity Center Endowment Fund was established at the Community Foundation with a very generous donation from John and Margaret Sheehan.
Margaret and John Sheehan’s love for their community and the work of the Unity Center lead them to establish the endowment fund. They want to ensure that the Unity Center has the resources it needs to teach the young people it serves life lessons in preparation, perseverance and discipline. John explained, “Giving back is a behavior we learned from our parents and that is a legacy we want to pass on to our children.”
Margaret has been a longtime volunteer tutor at the Unity Center. She served as chair of the Unity Center Ministry Team for 8 years and continues to serve as a valuable team member. In addition, she is a regular Tuesday volunteer in the After School Program and provides support and assistance in various programs throughout the year. John and Margaret along their son and daughter have been active volunteers in the Unity Center’s Holy Family Eve Family Christmas event and have assisted with the Fall Festival and the Dress for Success program.
“The families and kids that we have had the pleasure to work with have been a real joy. It is so fun watching the kids grow both physically and emotionally. This has become an important part of my life,” said Margaret.
Additional donations of any size to this fund are welcome and fully tax deductible. By investing in the Unity Center Endowment Fund, donors join with many others working together to ensure the continuation and success of the Unity Center programs. “An endowment gift to the Unity Center today provides a brighter picture for our future. When you make a donation to our endowment, you give a gift with both immediate and long-term benefits, according to Mary Ketchersid, Program Administrator.
The endowment will provide an ongoing stream of revenue to help insure a strong future for the Unity Center as the organization continues its mission to build hope and opportunity by promoting educational, social and spiritual growth for all.
The Endowment will be invested and only a portion of the earnings will be spent each year so that the endowment will continue to grow and provide an additional source of funding to sustain and expand the long term impact of the Unity Center in perpetuity.
The Unity Center programs include
- the FUTURE afterschool program which includes homework assistance, tutoring, life skills and enrichment activities
- A Community Choir to prepare a spring musical
- Dress for Success program offered to 5th graders and their parents to address hygiene, fitness, social, educational and motivational needs at this transitional point in their lives as they move to middle school.
- The DAWN Youth Group provides spiritual, recreational, service and social experiences for students in grades 7-12
- Programs that focus on family relations and communication
- Immigration information, advocacy and support for individuals and families
- Summer programming including day camps and overnight tent camps
A strong endowment enables the Unity Center to continue these programs. You can learn more about Unity Center its programs and activities by visiting the website.
Donations are made by simply writing a check to the Foundation designated to the Fund or online.